Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Did you get what you wanted?



“Valentine's Day:  When the cynics criticize the romantics for the over-commercialization of the holiday and the romantics criticize the cynics for lack of belief in love and we take the time to step back and realize how lucky we are to have people we love who love us, no matter whether or not we are in a relationship. We celebrate the bonds between us that we wouldn't be able to live without.”
--Sydney Roslin

I caught an ad for a Valentine's Day special from the massage studio I like:

“Add 30 minutes of foot reflexology to your massage for only $30!”

The Professor interrupted my daydream of having my arches worked.

“So, I’m heading over to Costco.  Are flowers for Valentine’s Day okay?”

“Yes, of course.”

He brings me flowers from Costco every time he goes.  I REALLY appreciate that.  I also do not think he needs to prove anything to me on Valentine’s Day.  BUT he did ask AND my feet were already tingling in anticipation of what I really wanted.  I grabbed the ad and walked down the hall to his office.

“I hope this doesn’t come across as rude, but I actually don’t want flowers from Costco for Valentine’s Day.  I want foot reflexology.”

His eyes lit up.  God love him, all he wants to do is get it right.

“Great.  Perfect.  Give me the name of the place and I’ll handle it.”

I used to resent having to dictate what I wanted, feeling unromantic and piggish and bossy.  I prefer to think of myself as loving and generous and easy-going.

And that’s exactly how I’ll be tomorrow after my massage with 30 minutes added-on of foot reflexology.

No comments:

Post a Comment