Monday, February 13, 2012

Sweet Surprises


 

There is a mentally-disabled man, Peter, who works at the grocery store near us.  I don’t go to Vons very often anymore but used to be a regular there when the kids were younger.  Peter would always come over to our cart when I had Charming Baby with me.  He'd usually share something personal with me like, “I’m going to the Greek Festival.  I’m Greek.”  I was never sure how the conversations would go.  He didn’t make eye contact, asked a lot of questions, and sometimes followed me around while I shopped.  He seemed like a happy kid trapped in a man's body.

I saw Peter again today for the first time in over two years. I was cruising through the produce section when I heard his friendly, familiar voice.

“HI!”

“Hi, Peter.”  I didn’t think he would remember me.

“Where is your son?”

“He’s at school.” Unbelievable.  The clerks with all their faculties don’t remember me from one week to the next.

“Oh.”  He was quiet for a minute.  “How is he?”

“He’s great.  He likes school.  Thanks for asking.”

“Whitney Houston died.”

“Yes, I know.”

“It’s sad.”

“Yes, it is, but at least we have her beautiful music to remember her by," I replied, wondering if he was trying to make conversation or if he was really sad about losing Whitney Houston. 

“Okay, bye!”  He said loudly and began to walk away.

I must have turned my back to him when I reached for the bag of grapes.  I was trying to multi-task, already late to go pick up First Born Prince at the orthodontist.  I didn’t mean to cut him off.

“Good-bye, Peter!"  I yelled after him.

I thought about what a sweet soul he is and how it really was nice seeing him. Can't say that about everyone you run into.

No comments:

Post a Comment