Tuesday, September 7, 2010

42 Things to be happy about


Today is my 42nd birthday.  We are coming down from a full weeknd in NYC and it's also the first day of school for the boys.  I almost sulked around that I was not awoken with coffee and cards and kisses in bed.


"Mom!  Is the laundry finished?"..."Mom, what's for breakfast?"..."Honey, you need to go to the DMV and get a copy of your driving record..."

"Gentlemen!  I appreciate that we are full blown back-to-school and real life.  Steve, thank you for doing the legal work to fight my tickets.  You are a Godsend.  Boys, I am glad you are excited for school.  BUT HEAR THIS.  Today is my birthday.  This morning is about first grade and fifth grade and deadlines, but this afternoon we are switching gears around here.  You have until 5:30p.m. to make cards, get flowers, produce a cake and whip up some sort of dinner plan."

They melted like putty into my hands and I am sure  I'll be basking in the glow of their love tonight.  In the meantime, I have plenty to be happy about.  Here are my top 42:

1.    Fireflies
2.    Crickets
3.    Toads
4.    Hiking
5.    Hydrangeas
6.    Margaritas
7.    Boys
8.    Coonhounds
9.    Facebook
10.  Writing group
11.  Good books
12.  Sunday New York Times
13.  Coffee
14.  Half ‘n half
15.  Hot baths
16.  Understanding husband
17.  Yoga
18.  Olives
19.  New music
20.  Mad Men
21.  Cool neighbors
22.  Streams
23.  NYC
24.  Vegas
25.  Laughter
26.  Kisses
27.  Winks
28.  High fives
29.  Jeans
30.  Birkenstocks
31.  Cats
32.  Hedgehogs
33.  Clean sheets
34.  Harvest moon
35.  Picnics
36.  Snow
37.  Napping
38.  Moms
39.  Ithaca
40.  Sweet skin
41.  Breezes
42.  Birthday cake!

1 comment: