Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Verklempt



A very special girl in our lives had her Bat Mitzvah last weekend. In Judaism, a Bar Mitzvah is a boy, and a Bat Mitzvah is a girl, who has gone through Hebrew schooling and preparation, and has a Jewish coming-of-age ceremony. It marks the time when children assume their own responsibility for ritual and tradition. The momentous day involves the young man or woman being called to read the Torah at a Shabbat service and also giving a discussion of that week’s Torah portion.



Most Jews also enjoy rich cultural traditions before and after the ceremony, like having someone with good eye-sight open the safe and retrieve the family jewels before hopping on a plane, or special celebratory meals. We were treated to a festive weekend of Friday night welcome Shabbat dinner, Saturday Kiddish Luncheon, and really fun dinner and dance party Saturday night, ending with a bagel and lox brunch on Sunday. It wouldn’t have been complete without a little kevetching and Tums vs. Prilosec debate.



Little Sydney, who I held in my arms when she was a few weeks old is now a tall, beautiful, wicked-smart 12 year old. She has mastered Hebrew school with the same grace and style that she accomplishes everything she sets her mind to do.



We felt honored sharing this milestone with her. I loved seeing how proud her grandmothers and parents were. Sydney’s Torah lesson for us was about not being afraid to try trying something new.



And, so, at her fabulous party Saturday night where they had a rockin’ DJ, even though my boys had never danced at a party in front of a bunch of giggling tween girls before, they attempted all the new moves. I don’t think they sat out one song.



I thought a lot about sweet Sydney growing up so fast and I realized it won’t be that long before I am dancing away at my sons’ Bar Mitzvahs. With any luck, or prayers being answered, I won’t miss a step and my boys will still want me by their side shakin’ my groove thing.



Yeah, yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment