Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Pond


It first occurred to me in La Jolla two years ago that the type of 4th of July festivities I was participating in might be too much when one of my neighbors walked towards me at ten in the morning in high heels, a navy blue sundress with plunging neckline and a ruby, diamond and sapphire-star-spangled pendant, the kind you see in the Tiffany ads and wonder, “Who the hell has special occasion jewelry for the fourth?”

It’s hard for me to admit I was dependent on a blur of social activities for the holiday.  There were so many people, parades and parties that I can barely keep them all straight in my mind.  One year I dropped into bed at the end of the day realizing I didn't know the woman who kept refilling my mimosa glass and wondering whether or not Charming Baby was the reason for the missing bag of marshmallows.

Ithaca has a different speed. We were invited to spend the afternoon and evening out at our friends' pond, which was a very special way to celebrate. So, after a quiet morning at home, a small group of us, linked mostly through school and work, got together to swim and set off fireworks in the most magical setting you can imagine. The family who owns the property built a little cottage and has set up an outdoor dining area complete with plaid tablecloths and candle lanterns. There are hammocks and fishing polls and an island in the middle of the pond for camping.



 
My fourth of July was mellow and relaxing and I know exactly how many s'mores were consumed.  I watched my kids swim and fish while we got to know our friends a little better.  Independence Day has never felt so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment