Friday, December 3, 2010

Merry Moo Cow



 Huck (aka Lucky Bastard) gets to go to Doggie Daycare on a farm to play, run free, smell horses and bark at old barn cats twice a week.  As I was getting dressed this morning, I checked my weather app and it said, "21 degrees."  I was relieved to be driving him to the farm instead of suiting up to take him into the woods.  That is, up until we were actually in the car heading out there.  It was sunny and the snow was all sparkly and everything looked so peaceful. Especially since I had my seat warmer cranked up and a mug full of hot coffee.

I used to feel the same way when I would drop either of the boys off at preschool on a spectacular day.  I’d think to myself, “Why the hell am I parting ways with the best little playmate in the world when it is so gorgeous out?!”  I would be tempted to phone him in sick and hit the park with a picnic.  But then I’d rationalize it all to myself.  He is better off.  Friends his own age, stimulating art projects, educated people redirecting him in a pleasant voice.  I would suck it up, turn off my emotions and go run my errands.

I noticed the cows were all outside of their barn which was unusual for 8:00am.  One of them was mooing really loudly, too.  I spotted Ellie, the owner of the farm and Canine Comforts.  She majored in Animal Behavior at Cornell University.

“Hey, Ellie.  Are the cows excited by the snow and sun today or what?  I’ve never heard them moo before.”

“Oh, that.  They’ve been dropping calves all over the place. She probably can’t find it.”

That made me laugh.  What I had projected as glee over the new winter scenery was an engorged milk cow complaining.  I think about Huck running around with his crew of furry friends and how my boys STILL speak so fondly of their preschool days and try to turn off my urge to moo.

No comments:

Post a Comment