Saturday, February 19, 2011

Happiest Place on Earth



Suitcase #1:  41 pounds.  Perfect.  Enough room for the snorkeling gear.  Suitcase #2:  47 pounds.  Not enough room for a bottle of wine (3.5 lbs) but I could have squeezed in another pair of shoes (2 lbs).  I decided not to risk the weight allowance on the return trip.  We are setting sail on another Disney cruise.

This is probably the only vacation I can schedule without the Professor that does not incite sadness at him being left behind to work.  The Professor doesn’t do Disney and isn’t really a “cruiser.”  I learned early on not to drag the man to things that require him to stand in line or make small talk.  Think Larry David.

I knew I was right about taking a Disney cruise on my own with the boys when we were boarding last year—standing behind a woman wearing white Minnie Mouse ears with a wedding veil flowing out of the back.  As much as I wanted to roll my eyes, I didn’t want to model being a jaded snob. 

“Look, they’re on their honeymoon.”

“Is that why she has a special hat on?”

“Yes, it means they just got married.”

They gave me their sheepish grins, like they were in on some big secret. 

The song that plays as you board the Disney ship Magic is the one I have been humming to myself since I was seven years old.

When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you

If your heart is in your dream

No request is too extreme
When you wish upon a star
As dreamers do

Fate is kind

She brings to those who love
The sweet fulfillment of
Their secret longing

Like a bolt out of the blue

Fate steps in and sees you through
When you wish upon a star
Your dreams come true

Time to set sail!

No comments:

Post a Comment