Friday, April 15, 2011

Hear Ye, Hear Ye...Spring Has Arrived



Last spring the first thing I noticed come to life after the long winter was the forsythia—the little yellow blossoms are like tiny trumpets heralding spring’s arrival.  They are all over town and a sunshiny surprise every time I turn a brown muddy corner.  I didn’t even know what they were called until I went home and Googled them.  Google is like having your grandpa with you everywhere you go.

This year it was a different type of herald that caught my attention.   Yesterday I headed out the door for my walk with Lucky Bastard without my earpieces jammed in and my music cranked all the way up.  Not because I forgot my iPod, but because last week in the barbershop, I overheard two old men talking about how good it was to hear the birds again.  They talked about it the way you might hear other men talking college basketball or women discussing a great pedicure.  They were joyful and shared in each other’s appreciation.  I couldn’t wait to hear spring for myself.

It was like a music fest out there.  The only birds I could name were the cardinals.  Their distinct head shape and bright red feathers helped me identify them.  I tried the iBird ap to see if I could figure out a few others but it was no help.  Definitely not like hanging with Grandpa.  The birds are prolific and perfectly adorable.  Just like last spring, when I was so excited to see the flowers that I felt like waving to them, I felt like whistling hello to the birds.

Other animals are out now, too (the rabbits and turkeys in full force).  I saw our groundhog for the first time yesterday in months.  We spent last spring watching him eat the garden through our kitchen window.  He’s fat and sweet looking and has hilarious mannerisms.  I think he pantomimes for us.  Thank you for the perennials!  Next year, more tulips!  FBP had feared he was a goner after we found a dead one in front of our house.  We are happy to report Groundhog is alive and chomping.

Before my first Ithaca spring, someone told me, “Just wait, it’s euphoric.”  I thought they were exaggerating and a little bit nuts.  Now I am so thankful I got to experience springs like these.  They helped me regain simple appreciations.  We should all be lucky enough to get excited over seeing flowers bloom, hearing birds sing and considering rodents our friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment