Thursday, June 23, 2011

Break These Chains



I was going to the gym the other day out of routine. It was sunny and breezy outside and I even had to push Lucky Bastard’s nose back into the kitchen as he tried to follow me to my car, wagging his tail, hoping for a hike. I drove all the way to the gym, parked my car and then said out loud to myself, “This is ridiculous.” I threw my car into reverse and headed directly back home.

Huck and I had one of our best hikes yet that day. I love the state parks here. Ithaca is so green this time of year and the trails were empty because school wasn’t out yet. What had I been thinking when my first action was robotic? I guess I wasn’t, just banging out my day as if they were all average and endless.

This weekend the Professor is taking First Born Prince to his final travel lacrosse game. It’s special in that it’s all weekend long and the team is staying at a hotel. Charming Baby wasn’t invited. FBP wanted a special father/son trip (that’s code for no little brother tagging along).

My youngest son asked if we could do something, too.

“Like what?” I immediately envisioned CB and me going to see the new Judy Moody movie and buying flip-flops at the mall (Huck ate his last pair).

“Camping!” What? If I did that, how could I obsess over my things-to-do list and have anxiety attacks about the impending move? How would I be able to drink too much coffee Saturday morning and get bitchy and have a good yell at my sweet baby?

I thought about how breaking my patterns of habit last week with the gym yielded new freedom and an awesome memory in my mental scrapbook. I booked a cabin for us in Treman State Park. They have cots, fire pits and little picnic tables. Our friends booked one, too, so we’ll have buddies there to hike, swim and make dinner with. I am so excited; I just may just leave my coffee pot at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment