Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Leaving...Returning...I'm Here

La Jolla, California


I’ve returned to California and after considering changing the name of the blog, or starting a new one or quitting altogether, I decided that continuing to just roll with it as is will be the best course of action. It’s a practical approach that works in most areas of my life.

As for the title, “Leaving California”, it still makes sense. What this journey is ultimately about is growth and change and the choices and trade-offs we make along the way. The stomach-sickening feeling of saying good-bye to people and places you love when you move on with your life is something we all deal with at one point or another.

Even if we stay with the same people or the same town, the relationships and places change. I cry regularly over how much I miss the sweet-smelling, little sweaty-faced toddlers in my house. I also am pissed off that the children’s book-store, “The White Rabbit”, and independent film theatre in downtown La Jolla gave way to an upscale dog accessory shop “Muttropolis” and a “Massage Envy” spa center.

I left California with two young boys and have returned with two strapping giants, all of us older and changed by our experience. I purposely under-scheduled the boys this summer trying to outsmart myself, thinking I would be so worn out with running them around, playing Camp Mommy, that I wouldn’t notice how much they’ve grown, but I did notice and I am just sick about it. I alternate, like a schizophrenic high on coffee or down on chardonnay, between wishing school would hurry-up and just start already and wishing I could freeze time. Right here. Right now. Me and my pre-pubescent boys, together, forever.

I refuse to wax poetic about how our town has changed. I can just get in line with the rest of the planet, can’t I? Suffice to say “M-TV Real World” has rented a house near-by and now I can’t get a parking space in front of our favorite local Italian place when I crave homemade pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment