Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thanksgiving Lesson


 
“We must get beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths... and tell the world the glories of our journey."
--John Hope Franklin, History Professor Emeritus at Duke University

The traditional six-grade overnight camp trip was cut this year from the public middle school curriculum in our district due to budget constraints.  The whole program just folded up and vanished.  I decided to see what we could do to independently fund and send our students to a privately run camp.  I still remember how much fun I had when I went in sixth grade—it is an amazing opportunity for kids to learn through hands-on experiences out in nature. Students build their self-confidence, leadership abilities, and a respect for our environment.

I started the process in my kick-ass-and-take-names sort of way which turns people either on or off.  I got permission from the Principal to allow us to take the 330 6th graders off campus for four days and then, with the help of two other volunteers, we researched our options.  We contacted the camps where the private middle and charter schools are sending their students.  Next step is to survey the parents to see who is willing to pay $275 to send their child, and more importantly, who is willing to help pay for other students to go.  We are facing numerous hurdles, and some days I get worn out and rude and say things like, “Pay to play, baby!”  I know, not cool.

We suggested to the principal that we have academic and citizenship requirements to qualify for going (knowing full well that would eliminate somewhere between $10,000 and $15,000 worth of fund raising we would have to do).  That was shot down.  Thankfully, my fellow volunteers pointed out:  1) The kids that need this the most are the ones who wouldn’t qualify; and 2)  Our kids already have so much, we are doing this for the ones who can’t afford it.

Then it hit me.  I am volunteering to keep the public school functioning in the ideal way, not turn it into a hybrid private institution.  I suddenly let go of all my anger about the free riders and people who don’t give.  I became thankful for the chance to work with caring, soulful people who are happy to give time so that we can keep the camp opportunity alive for all sixth graders—this year’s students, future classes, and hopefully, if we get the formula right, other public middle schools all over the city and state.

No comments:

Post a Comment