Friday, December 16, 2011

What's Your Intention?


My yoga teacher starts practice with the words of wisdom, “Set your intention.”  For those of us who appreciate this principle, it’s key to progress in everything we do.  After I became more mindful on the mat, I started seeing better results.  The minute my thoughts start to wander, I reign them in or send them away or tell myself to keep breathing.  I've learned to stop avoiding uncomfortable postures out of fear of pain or failing or falling.  I've begun to accept my limitations without being a quitter.  I am trying to do the same in my life off the mat as well. 

I was at a funeral reception yesterday.  It was a beautiful tribute to my friend's much loved and respected “Maman,” which is Persian for “Mother.”  My friend said she lost her best friend, mother and grandmother (she was raised by Maman, her grandmother).  She is going to miss her dearly and I know the loss was huge for her entire family.  When my friend's children took their turns to speak at the dinner in her Maman's honor, I realized it was not happenstance that the person who they would miss and remember was generous, thoughtful, and loving.

They talked about going to Maman’s house after school where they always had so much fun.  One of them even said he would get excited seeing her waiting at the school gate.  She would fill them up with homemade food, get them to dance to Persian music, and teach them Farsi.  Photos projected on the wall showed Maman, proudly hugging her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.  You could see how much they appreciated the time and attention she gave them. 

School breaks at 3:15 today for 15 days.  The last thing I want is for my boys to remember a winter break with a stressed-out mom who yelled a lot and was forever running out the door.  I know they don't need a trunk load of wrapped gifts, and that what they'll treasure are happy memories of our family together.  In order to arrive where I intend--spending the next two weeks in ways I find important--I am going to have to let go of at least half my list and pull out the Monopoly board, lasagna pan and 80’s CDs.. 

Say, we can go where we want to.
A place where they will never find.
And we can act like we come from out of this world.
Leave the real one far behind.

We can dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment