Friday, April 20, 2012

Tools




I got into the habit of sending an e-mail to our gardener when I wanted fresh flowers planted in our yard or something replaced, like part of a hedge.  It’s not that expensive, not much more than the cost of buying the flats of perennials or a 15-gallon boxwood myself and much easier than carving out the time to go to the nursery, loading up my car and then spending hours on my knees in the dirt.  Or so I thought. 

Charming Baby is full of questions about nature and desire to spend time with me. He yearns to be productive and will not turn down a challenge.  We recently made a chore chart.  I gave each of my sons a handful of mandatory tasks (trash, recycling, setting table, dishes, etc.) and then asked them to choose one of their own.  First Born Prince focuses on results, not process, so he went for the most efficient return on investment of his time, like picking up dog poop which simultaneously allows him to play lacrosse in the backyard worry-free.  He gets the whole win-win concept.  Charming Baby chose gardening.  This chore was originally intended for me to have someone help pick all the dead blossoms off our plants and trees.  Then it hit me.

I decided to surprise Charming Baby with the job of planting all the new flowers I want in the yard this season.  I also decided to enjoy myself and turn the whole project into a treat for both of us since Sam had already figured out that it wasn’t really a “chore.”  I cleared my schedule so I would have time to think at the nursery rather than running through with a cart yelling at the workers that I was parked in a red zone.  I thought through what I needed and made a list so I wouldn’t be caught having to use my ivory-handled silver pie server to dig holes, or the kids’ bamboo back scratcher as a rake.

We spent two hours hauling, digging, planting, watering and cleaning up.  We’re about a third done.  Charming Baby asked me this morning if we could get right to it after school today and even figured out which plants he wants to save for Saturday.  He likes organizing the work and is excited about the progress.

“Thank you, Mom, for buying all the flowers and letting me plant everything.”

“Thank YOU, Sam.  You did such a great job.  The yard looks beautiful.”

Just wait until it blooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment