Sunday, August 1, 2010

Working Like a Dog


My mom left Friday morning after her first visit out here. I was happy the weather was good so she could experience bucolic Ithaca at its best. We took her to all of our favorite places and I think she favored the Farmer’s Market. She said seeing all the hippies was “refreshing.” I would have started crying when her plane took off if I weren’t so relieved to not have to tell her to stop loading and unloading the dishwasher.

My mom’s visit was perfectly timed. We got lucky at the shelter with Huck right before she arrived. Not only did she get to meet him, she was a huge help with breaking him in to our household.

Huck is mostly coonhound, which is a working breed. You have to occupy a dog like that with jobs or they will misbehave—tearing up your yard, furniture or whatever they can unearth. So we’ve been walking, fetching and swimming non-stop. Huck thinks he’s assisting us in some long crazy hunt for Lord knows what.

I get this dog down to his core. Even though I have more free time now than ever in my life, I am no toy poodle. I like to work. I shudder to think of the messes I would make if I wasn’t focused on a set of goals. Although a two-martini lunch date does sound good.

I think the best part of putting in a solid day is the sweet reward at the end. My mom and I spent the late afternoons of her visit in deck chairs (she reading, me drinking wine) while Huck napped next to us. There is no better feeling for breeds like us.

 Huck, 6 months old

No comments:

Post a Comment