Sunday, October 17, 2010

He's Just a Boy



First Born Prince turned 11 last week.  He wanted a PSP (Playstation Portable) but was concerned I wouldn’t let him have the games he wanted to play on it since most of them are rated Teen or Mature. 

He gave me a list of the titles, all combat and war, for me to check out.   I went online where they had previews I could watch.  The little army dudes were sort of cute and weren’t smoking and cursing and stabbing each other with bayonets like in the war movies I was exposed to as a child. 

“Okay, you can get the PSP and a few of the games with your birthday money.  Not the Mature rated one, but the other two Teen ones seem harmless.

He almost fell over.  I think it made him nervous that I gave in so easily.  He probably had more negotiating points ready, like a signed affidavit from our Rabbi saying war games teach you valuable lessons. 

“Are you sure, Mom?”

“Yeah.  You know your obsession with guns stresses me out, but hey, you’re a nice kid and I trust you.”

We went to the Game Stop and he got very quiet looking at all the paraphernalia.

“I’m not sure I want to spend my money on this.”

I did a little jig right there in the Ithaca mall.

Later that day I treated him to a milkshake at Burger King while his brother was next door at gymnastics.  I was taking lots of pictures of him and he was in an especially good mood.  High fructose corn syrup and artificial vanilla flavor does that to you.

“What made you change your mind?”

“Well.  I realized I like actually fighting with Nerf guns with my friends, not doing something on a screen.  I would rather have friends over and stage a real battle.  It’s more fun.”

I almost slid out of the booth.

No comments:

Post a Comment