Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Countdown


Laying in bed in upstate New York, texting with my BFF who was laying in her bed in northern California, we both faced the challenge of losing weight.  It’s not just because of the new year.  She’s always had the body of a dancer, long and lean.  Her reason for wanting to diet is completely virtuous, she just had a baby and is now ready to slim back down.  She is like the White Swan.

I, on the other hand, feel like an out of shape contender for some long-forgotten title. What was it exactly I was training for back in La Jolla???  Being away from southern California and out of my routine has made me sluggish.  Dare I mention the ill-fitting jeans?  If I went up against one of those bitches from home there would be no contest for The Ithaca-ish.  I am like The Fighter.

Me:  On Day #2 of no wine, sugar or flour…I want to lose weight and reset my habits…

BFF:  Am right there with you.  In my case busting out of sweatpants!  :-(

Me:  What are you doing?

BFF:  Daily walks with baby, mommy & me yoga and better eating. That should get me 10 lbs before too long.  Then it’s the harder work!

Me:  I need to shock the system…I plan to go for 10 days.

BFF:  Remember how easy it was in college?

As I thought about our conversation I realized it always seems easier in hindsight.  I wonder if life is like a bell curve?  I can’t possibly become a 98-year-old lady who pours her Ensure drink into the plant when my caretaker isn’t looking, thinking, “It sure as hell was less work when I was 80!”

No comments:

Post a Comment