Friday, January 14, 2011

Warm Winter Welcome


One of the dog owners I talk to at the dog park is a bachelor who lives in one of the oldest houses in Ithaca, I think the first president of Cornell built.  Anyway, though charming and of historical significance, it must be drafty and expensive to heat because the last time I saw him he told me he had ordered some extra thick Snuggly-type things (think sleeping bag with arm and foot holes) for his impending winter houseguests.

I dug my nails into the palm of my hands to keep myself from saying, “You know some decent booze and several really fantastic home-cooked meals might be more appealing.”  But I stopped trying to tell people about the right way to do things after 10 years of marriage, two kids, and a stint in the PTA.  What do I know, anyway?  I went from filling up the house with flowers for welcoming my guests to springing for space heaters.

Keeping warm in the winter here presents all sorts of challenges.  I’ve demoted one of my long cashmere sweaters to housecoat and while it sounds chic and maybe even sexy, I can tell you it’s not, it smells like dog and last week’s tacos.  I remember before we moved here someone saying in passing, “You’ll be fine, you can afford heat.”  I thought it was an odd comment until we received our first heating bill from New York State Gas & Electric:  $700.

You would think I would have been better prepared, having married someone from New York.  His mother used to let me use her “loaner mink” when we visited them in Manhattan.  I remember being afraid someone from PETA would hurt me while I was running the streets of New York City with my new boyfriend.  I confided my fears in a friend who assured me I was not betraying innocent animals and that the only sane choice was to throw the dead rodents on my back and enjoy the snow.

If you have any tips on keeping warm, come visit and share them!  I promise to loan you a cashmere…

No comments:

Post a Comment