Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Let's Party



I recently received a friend request from a girl I knew in high school.  After clicking “Accept” I saw the posts on her page.  Our other friend wrote, “I was wondering when you’d show up.”  Many of us haven’t talked (or drank beer) together for a very long time.  But the easy conversation started right back up.  Facebook is like a party that you can cruise into any time you feel like it.

It is a fabulous place for us social creatures.  I love seeing my friends in real life, but it’s not always practical.  And while it’s not as much fun cackling out loud all by myself, it isn’t bad. With much credit to my witty friends from high school, college, career, and my home crew in SD, I am guaranteed to find a laugh or cry, excellent tip or interesting piece of news at any time day or night. 

Partying, whether it’s in person or in the comfort of your bed with a notebook computer in your lap, does not come without drawbacks and disadvantages.

“I never knew that about you!”

“How come I wasn’t invited?”

“Watch it, my mother reads this stuff.”

After living with a man who is not a party creature for many years I can easily spot the difference between animals like me (“Lisa is in the house!”) and the quieter breed (“I don’t like Facebook”).  The people who scare me and always have are the silent stalkers.  In real life they were the ones who leaned (propped themselves?) up against the wall watching everyone from a safe distance.  I was never certain if they were shy, stupid, stoned or all three.  Now, I am shocked when I hear someone spends hours a day on Facebook yet there is not a single post or comment from them.  Are they shy, stupid, stoned or all three?

I also prefer small, intimate parties with people I know really well so I can be 100% myself.  When I am hobnobbing I have to watch my behavior and not say the first thing that comes to mind.  I love FB but I let my friend list get too big.  So, unless I defriend 100 people, I am stuck writing things like what I posted today, “Apparently ‘Hand wash in cold water, line dry’ can be interpreted as ‘Machine abuse in hot water, singe dry’ versus my initial thought which was, “He’s doing the laundry again.  Must be horny.”

No comments:

Post a Comment