Thursday, February 25, 2010

Fire and Ice



It’s here…our first snow day! We have been hoping for this. The boys were so excited they decided to create a “school” like Percy Jackson's Camp Half-Blood in “The Lightening Thief." They are down in the basement slaying dragons right now.

We sort of had a taste of this freedom in California in 2007 when the fires were so bad, the schools closed for a week due to poor air quality from the ash and smoke. But, since we weren’t confined to our homes, we were able to hop in our cars and drive around to all sorts of indoor places. I thought we should include educational outings, so we balanced out the bowling and movies with museums and the library. The most memorable excursion for all of us was the “Bodies” exhibit, where we spent an afternoon viewing real humans from the inside out.

The exhibition was divided up into nine rooms—each focusing on a different system of the body. All of those preserved, dissected people were fascinating and I felt like we were learning a lot. The muscular system was my favorite, a close second was reproductive. We fell in line behind a doctor and her children and I was impressed with their questions and her detailed responses. I was wondering if I would be able to field inquiries half as well from my own little prodigies.

“Mom, is that her pachina?”

“Yes.” I don't care what Dr. Mom thinks, I'm sticking to one word answers.

“Do all girls have a pachina?”

“Yes.”

“Sam! It is not called pachina,” hissed Charlie. Here we go.

“It is pa-GINA.” He looked smug as he moved himself along to the next naked specimen.

I didn’t have the heart to correct him. First Born Prince was only eight years old and who was I fooling anyway? I wasn’t really trying to cover Gross anatomy that day. I was soaking up precious time with my boys while we were all set free from routine for a small window of time.

Now, it’s time to go dine with my demigods.

No comments:

Post a Comment