Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ithaca City Blues



I hear the train a comin' it's rollin' round the bend
And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when

The song came to mind last night when I heard the 7:00 train go by…it blows an old fashioned whistle that conjures up all sorts of romantic images. The sound in the evenings, combined with the little lights twinkling all over in the distance (we are high up on a hill), make me feel like I am living in an E.B. White novel.

We woke up this morning to what First Born Prince calls, “a winter wonderland”--everything outside was dusted with soft, white, fluffy powder.

On days without the sun, the gray is cozy and mystical and makes you think of far off places and historical times likes the crusades fought in the marshes of Scotland or the Darling family walking the foggy streets of London.

Is it all the extra sleep we are getting?

Maybe it’s because I am in the middle (good part) of my cycle and not ready to plunge a kitchen knife into someone.

Whatever the reason, we all definitely feel the mood.

Charming Baby, who is usually busy setting up booby traps, was standing next to me as I was eating my breakfast. He started stroking my hair. The last time someone did that, I was in a hair salon paying for it.

“What are you doing?”

“Your hair feels so nice.”

“Awww, thanks, honey. You can pet me any time you want.”

He gave me a kiss and then ran off to organize himself for the BIG day at school—it’s his 100th day of Kindergarten. I think we are going to string Fruit Loops and count marbles.

As I write this, it occurs to me the event isn’t something that future generations will look back on and get all choked up about, but for me, there couldn’t be anything happier to be sad about.

…98, 99, 100!

No comments:

Post a Comment