Thursday, February 11, 2010

To: Charlie, From: Charlie




We made Valentines tonight. First Born Prince put his younger brother, Charming Baby, and me to work. I was a folder, Sam was a stuffer, and Charlie was quality control. I enjoyed thinking of all the new Ithaca friends in his fourth grade class as I read the names on each card he had neatly lettered. Then I saw it.

To: Charlie

From: Charlie

“Did you do this on purpose?”

“What do you think?”

“Just checking.”

He grinned to himself and merrily put the finishing touches on his stack of sentiments.

The child constantly amazes me. I think it took me the better part of 30 years to learn that we must love ourselves before we can love others. Have you ever noticed how the nicest people are the ones who are kind and giving to themselves? You never heard of Mother Theresa complaining she needed to lose five pounds or stop hoarding shoes.

I think in honor of Valentine’s Day and self-love everywhere, we should all pen letters to ourselves. No one else is better suited to remember all the challenging goals we accomplished (changing cat litter counts), moments of joy we brought to others (telling jokes to the school office staff works), or profound beauty we radiated (coloring your hair is not cheating if you cop to it upfront).

Dear Lisa…

No comments:

Post a Comment