Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dads are for… LOVE ing


Charming Baby made his own Father's Day card. The teacher provided the front copy: “Dads are for…” and then he completed the sentiment inside by writing LOVE in all caps, next line “ing.” I watched the Professor get all choked up and give both boys huge bear hugs. After the kisses and wrestling and everything ending with a swift kick to my chin, we started off to celebrate.

Some say we have no control over what type of fathers the men we choose will become. I think you can spot the raw ingredients a mile away: compassion, tenderness, a sense of humor. The Professor is an incredible balance of teacher, care provider and friend.

I got clues on what makes a great dad from one of the best. My own father spent countless hours teaching me everything he could think of—how to properly clean an artichoke, balance a check book, change the oil in my car (as if!), be nice to boys, treat my mother with respect, throw a punch, make hospital corners, train a dog, drive a stick shift, and party like a rock star. He also took me everywhere (mostly for the free child labor) and teased me unmercifully.

Hell yes, I got yelled at and spanked and told to go to my room. Of course the Professor runs off for alone time, relieved to get a break from Groundhog Day for a while.

But even when they are taking away Legos or car keys or telling your friends it’s time to go home or get a life, they are giving it their best shot. It’s easier to remember that when we are toasting them over a BBQ or making a card for that special man in our lives.

I thought of all the possible ways Charming Baby could have finished the sentence and am chalking up the fact that he got it so right up to dear old Dad.

1 comment: