Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Forget-Me-Not


We were walking to school yesterday, talking about the end-of-year celebrations.  I looked over at Charming Baby, amazed at how independent he has become.   He organizes his backpack, remembers his sharing, and dresses himself.  Is that pasta sauce on his Spiderman t-shirt?

“Sam!  Are you wearing the same t-shirt as yesterday?”

“Yes.  And the same shorts.  I pulled them out of my dirty clothes bin.”  He grins, not an ounce of remorse.

“Sam!  Do you realize you have smudges of food all over yourself and today is your special class party and everyone is going to be taking pictures?”

“Yes!  That’s why I picked this shirt!”

“If I bring a clean one when I come to the picnic, will you put it on?”  Jesus, my standards have slipped.  I used to insist on collared shirts for special occasions…now I am begging my child to wear something that doesn’t have Monday’s dinner encrusted on the shoulder.

“Awww, Mom there are no good ones left that I like!”

“Your Cornell one is clean.”

“Okay.”  He seemed slightly defeated.

Later, as I was headed over to the party, I was congratulating myself for being on time and on the ball with my bag full of teacher gifts, food to share, real camera and…oh man.

I waited until after lunch before taking the picture that really mattered, figuring that even if I had brought the t-shirt, it would have had food stains on it by then.  Sam may forget to use a napkin, but he will always remember the two things he loved best about kindergarten--Mrs. Philipson and his Spiderman t-shirt.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lisa for reminding me that I'm not the only one losing my marbles in the journey of motherhood. Also, may I remind you ... Ithaca is like a summer romance: they are dreamy because you know they are temporary. If it was a marriage, you would pace yourself -- very -- slowly. (alison sullivan)

    ReplyDelete