Monday, June 14, 2010

Star Light, Star Bright



Driving away from the elementary school carnival Friday night, I was guesstimating what we grossed, adding up the expenses and man hours in my head and trying to project the net profits.

“Mom, when we get home, can we get a blanket and lay down on the grass outside and look at the stars?”

I had been busting my ass all day and it was past 9:00pm.  Charming Baby’s bedtime is supposed to be 7:30, my back was barking and I felt like a dirty, sticky carnie.  All I really wanted was a glass of wine and a hot bath.

He looked up at me with those big brown eyes and long lashes.  I started thinking about how much fun the kids had at the carnival and that I really enjoyed working with the other volunteers.

“Sure, Sam.”

I took a quick shower, we changed into our PJs and headed out to the yard.

On the blanket, side by side, I realized Charming Baby was looking at me more than at the sky.  He had a huge grin on his face and was happy just laying there, being with me. 

Then we saw it…the first star.  We waited to make sure it wasn’t an airplane.

I closed my eyes and made my wish.

Wishing for something you already have counts, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment