Sunday, August 9, 2009

I'll Take Manhattan




















































My husband grew up in Manhattan so I have been visiting the city for years. But when you visit as the member of an Upper East Side Jewish family, you don't do the typical tourist stuff. Sure, you eat out, you maybe catch a show, you shop a little, but mostly, you visit aging relatives, take walks through Central Park and argue.

This past week, I had a change of pace. I hit the city with a group of friends visiting from La Jolla and Toronto. One of my best friends who lives there guided us to the hip and fashionable things to do. And, thanks to Chrissa, we got a reservation at a hot new restaurant, The Grill, at the Standard Hotel (meat packing district). She also recommended a better way to see NYC than the double decker bus--the Circle Line Boat Cruise. It was an incredible way to learn about the city (on a hot summer day). The boats are new, not crowded, and the tour guide gives a pretty good overview of the city's history and all its famous buildings, landmarks and people. And they serve adult beverages.

Other highlights included shopping on 5th Avenue, drinks at the Four Seasons (east side, near Columbus Circle), brunch at Balthazar (SoHo), and a Broadway show (Jersey Boys)...we walked for miles, drank for hours and completely recharged our batteries. Taking time out to hang with the girls is key to my sanity. I am now refreshed and ready to referee, buy meal worms, pick up Nerf bullets and discuss the merits of sunscreen ad nauseam.

No comments:

Post a Comment