Saturday, August 29, 2009

Endless Summer

I feel myself grasping onto the last few days of summer…just one more swim, a quick hike, that picnic we never got around to…the final card game around the kitchen table while we listen to crickets outside. I am sure we can fit in a trip to the U-Pick-Berry farm and squeeze in another walk to the ice cream shop for an afternoon treat…

I am more uneasy than ever about parting ways with my boys for back-to-school. Every year now since my oldest was school age, I feel a little sick to my stomach as fall arrives and I feel like I am watching their childhood, like the blissful days of summer, disappear right before my very eyes. No more laying around in your PJs until noon, or swimming all day until your fingers look like Yoda's, no more laying on your back under the stars wondering if mom will let you sleep out back…no, it’s up and at ‘em, make your bed, pack your lunch, brush your teeth and for God’s sake, comb that hair! Mama will be right out to take you to school…no, I am not crying, I have something in my eye…

2 comments:

  1. I think we all feel a bit of that end-of-summer wistfulness, even those of us who don't yet have kids, and work the same hours in August as we do in November. There is something a little melancholy about heading into a season that promises less daylight, colder weather, and the end of the good produce. On the other hand, I am generally able to perk myself up with this happy thought: "back to school" shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. Bittersweet. My youngest started big school (sob) which added to the distress.

    ReplyDelete