Sunday, September 27, 2009

Are you ready boots? Start walkin'!

University of California at Santa Barbara


Cornell University

It’s a long walk from the sandy beaches of UCSB to the ivy-covered bricks at Cornell. 19 years, 4 cities, 3,000 miles, 2 kids, 1 husband, 3 cats, 8 jobs, and, looking at my two Student ID cards, a hair color and change of wardrobe.

I have traded in more than just my blond hair and flip flops. I am learning to give up over-scheduling, hangovers, worrying about the shape of my ass, and saying “yes” when I mean “Hell, no!”

So, as I pull on my boots and brush my brown hair, I will welcome time for contemplation, healthier habits, self-acceptance, and the ability to set boundaries in a firm, yet polite manner.

I would say that I am giving up sinister thoughts and paper waste, but I am also working on being truthful and real in my writing. I need to kill off Pollyanna and resurrect Chatty Cathy. It’s hard work for anyone trying to make big changes, but you’re not going to get anywhere without taking that first step.

1 comment:

  1. so happy to be walking this journey with you in kick-ass boots, sister!! there are some things that DON'T change, thank God. xoxo

    ReplyDelete