Friday, September 18, 2009

Temple & Tailgate


Jewish New Year starts at sundown. If one of my Episcopalian friends had scheduled her kid’s birthday party tomorrow, my husband would have been shocked at the insensitivity. It is the equivalent of a Catholic being invited to Chuck E. Cheese on Christmas. But since tomorrow is the first home game of the Cornell football season, well that’s another story!

We have a rigorous High Holy Day—9:00 Rosh Hashana services, followed by 11:00 tailgate party, let’s not forget the 12:30 game, and then top it off with a four-hour drive to NYC! Most Jewish mothers would frown on all of this but my mother-in-law is what my husband affectionately calls a Park Avenue Jew. Social and travel calendars reign supreme and no one needs to make a fuss about anything getting in the way.

As for me, my only dilemma: Do I wear red & white to the synagogue or Saturday’s finest to the football stadium? Doesn’t really matter, either way, I’ll have time for reflection and if we’re really, really good, lots of Big Red touchdowns…

No comments:

Post a Comment