Monday, September 14, 2009

Ithaca Sundays


Taughannock Falls

Soaking in a hot bath never felt so good. After a long morning hiking through streams and trails under a canopy of trees, we picnicked by a waterfall, checked out campsites for future trips and then headed home. I cleaned out the backpacks, prepped dinner, reviewed homework, and was just getting ready to read the Sunday paper and maybe sneak in a nap when two giant puppies bounded into our room.

Boys: Please, can we go to Sapsucker Woods?

Husband: We just went on a hike.

Boys: Mom said she would take us frog hunting.

Me: You didn’t see any frogs at Taughannock Falls? I thought I saw a few.

Boys: Awww, mom!

Husband: Let Mom have a little rest, then she'll take you.

Me: Thanks, honey.

Bonus points for me for getting off my…bed and motivating for a second round. Guess what, I felt totally energized out there, walking in the woods, enjoying the boys’ excitement, noticing the hints of fall colors everywhere. poking around lily pads, moss and swamp weed, totally jacked up from an extra-large thermos full of coffee.


Sapsucker Woods

The boys found their frogs, lots of them, and we even got a picture of the big daddy they caught. Sam exclaimed on the way to the car, “Mom, Ithaca is a frog jackpot!” They thanked me profusely all the way home and I felt pretty good about being such a sport.


After dinner and putting two very happy and tired boys to bed, I poured myself a glass of red wine and headed upstairs. As I was floating there in the tub, watching the lights come on outside like little fireflies in the distance, I poked my toes up through the bubbles, gave myself another blast of hot water and thought to myself, “I hit the Sunday jackpot!”

No comments:

Post a Comment