Sunday, October 18, 2009

Semper Fi


Me: What type of birthday party would you like this year?

Charlie: Nerf gun.

Me: Excuse me?

Charlie: All of my friends come over and we have a big battle with Nerf guns.

Me: I am not sure that is such a great idea.

Charlie: We’ll wear protective eye gear, Mom.

Me: Can I make a theme cake?



So I Googled “Nerf Gun Party” and found some cool ideas and in no time was able to masquerade a war as a birthday party for a 10-year-old.

Hasbro is brilliant as a marketer. They have these game kits they call “Dart Tag." We all know it’s mortal combat! We outfitted each boy with a Nerf gun, Velcro ammunition, protective eye wear, and vest that the bullets stick to…



While my husband hid upstairs as the sniper and helped Sam (5) and one of the other younger brothers make their bunker, I made Charlie’s favorite dinner for 8 boys. (This required grilling outside in a full coat.)


I was thinking to myself, as I shuffled my iPod and sipped some wine, it was the first time I stood in my kitchen while a pack of boys raced around my house, squealing, laughing and banging into things, that I didn’t feel the need to holler at them to knock it off one bit.

Now all we have left are the thank you notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment