Thursday, October 1, 2009

Urban Legend


I had committed to bringing an “egg dish” to the teacher appreciation breakfast this morning at my sons’ school by 7:30. All of the sane mothers left muffins in the office yesterday afternoon, but I wanted to REALLY show my appreciation and bring a hot quiche! Well, we woke up at 7:18…

After I handed my children uncooked turkey dogs for breakfast, stuffed lunch money into their pockets, hollered at them to put their shoes on in the car, I started tearing around the neighborhood, dodging wildlife, and praying I did not skid out in the rain, I thought to myself, “What is wrong with me?" I started beating myself up out loud, “I should have set the alarm! I should have volunteered to bring something easier!” Charlie, my 9-year-old, said, “Or, you should not worry about it.” I made eye contact through the rear-view mirror, “I am really sorry I rushed you guys around this morning. I should know better.” Sam, my 5-year-old, shrugs, happy to have so much action so early in the morning. Charlie looks at me, “So you made a bad choice. No big deal. You can’t always make the right one. Mostly you make good ones, Mom.”

Somehow we made it. I practically threw the hot quiche at the PTA president on my way in to the building, hustled the boys to their classrooms, doled out kisses, jackets and backpacks before the bell rang and even had time to greet the principal in a pseudo-calm manner. As I headed outside, feeling much less frazzled, I realized I had forgotten to put on a raincoat or bring an umbrella for myself. Even though it was still raining, I didn’t mind one bit. I took a deep breath of the damp, refreshing air, slicked my hair back behind my ears and thought to myself, “I am one lucky over sleeper.”

No comments:

Post a Comment