Monday, December 7, 2009

All I want for Christmas is organic chicken.



Just watched “Food, Inc.” and now my plans for going to bed early are ruined. I already knew most of the dirty truth, but I let myself conveniently forget over the years. It gets easier and easier to assume my little food choices won’t make a difference but that is the type of thinking that got us into the mess we are in today and I am NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE.

After watching the film, I can no longer plop regular chicken or any beef into my cart. I am committing to only buying farm raised and organic. Those feed lots are criminal and the slaughtering process is totally inhumane. And as for the poor chickens, they are grown so fast in horrible hen houses (45 days instead of 3 months to go from chick to 5 lb chicken, in the dark, no windows) that their bones and organs don’t develop normally and they drag their little bodies around until they are “processed” (literally thrown by the bunches into a machine to be killed) and then packaged up by Tyson. I refuse to be a part of the demand for this product.

The film is a good reminder that it isn’t right to avert our eyes and ears. We have to look at our choices and realize we are making them. We are not being sold to—we are buying from. There is a big difference and the only way we can make changes is by buying what’s local, in season, organic and not genetically modified. It’s a tall order, but I for one, am working on filling it.

Living in Ithaca these past few months proved to me you don’t have to be rich or a fanatic to eat right and live with a conscience. I see people of all socioeconomic strata at the farmer’s markets, food co-ops and organic grocery stores. I have seen first hand that if you value mindful eating, there are ways to do it on a budget, with a busy schedule and even without a car!

The only way we are going to see a change in the treatment of workers, animals and the legislation aiding it all is if we stop ignoring how and why our mass market food is so cheap and take the food companies head on. We did it once with the tobacco companies and we can do it again with the meat, poultry, pork and seed giants.

Five Things You Can Do Now:
1. Buy organic or sustainable food.
2. Go without meat once a week.
3. Read labels—know where your food comes from.
4. Drink more water, fewer sugary beverages.
5. Support companies that treat workers, animals, and the environment with respect.

Check out the website for more information:
http://foodincmovie.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment