Friday, December 11, 2009

Someone’s Gotta Give



Tonight was the first night of Hanukkah and I have been trying to get homemade gifts out of the boys all week to give to their grandparents.

First Born Prince is a slam-dunk. He proudly pulled out the one cool piece of art he made this year and asked me to wrap it for him. He likes to please (and delegate), that one. But Charming Baby is another story.

“No. No one can have any of my clay.”

“Oh, Sam, but it is so beautiful, wouldn’t it be nice if Grammy could enjoy your pottery and think of you all year long?”

“No. It wouldn’t. She can’t have it.”

“But, Sam, the spirit of the holidays is to give the people you love something that will make them happy. THIS MUG will make Grammy happy.”

“Mom. It’s mine and I am keeping it.”

I finally had to promise him that he would get it back after Grammy dies. Somehow that was enough reassurance and then he went whole hog and wrapped it himself and made his own card!

So later Grammy came into the kitchen asking me if we had been talking about death lately. I told her the story and she laughed and said, “Oh that explains why he asked if he could have my Beanie Baby collection when I die.”

What a little operator! He even got Grammy to put it in her will.

No comments:

Post a Comment