Thursday, April 1, 2010

Alchemy



I believed in the Easter Bunny until I was eight years old, then my memories get hazy and I am not so sure what I thought was going on with the mysteriously appearing candy and gifts. Everything was rosy…until he stopped visiting.

I was in 11th grade. I remember the year exactly because my high school chemistry teacher, Mr. Schaeffer, overheard me complaining during lab to one of my friends that it was the beginning of the end of childhood as we knew it.

The next day there was a candy-filled egg on my desk with a note written on a 3x5 index card:

Dear Lisa Barnhouse,

I am sorry I accidentally hopped past your house last Sunday. Please accept this Easter treat. You are NEVER too old for the Easter Bunny!

As we were packing up for our trip to Grammy & Grampy's today, I noticed First Born Prince didn’t ask me how the Easter Bunny would know where to find us on Sunday. He isn’t even going to humor me on this one.

I decided to place a phone call when they were in the next room.

“These damn automated answering systems! You would think the Easter Bunny would employ a live operator!” If I curse maybe they will think I don’t know they can hear me.

Press a bunch of numbers.

“Oh, hi. I’m calling about a change of address for basket delivery and egg hunt…Yes, I realize it’s late, I’m sorry…Oh, okay, two, ages 6 and 10...No, no allergies...Manhattan...okay, I’ll e-mail you the address…Thank you!”

“That was close.” Mumble to self as I start typing an e-mail.

I saw FBP eyeing me suspiciously from the kitchen door. He watched me very carefully and when we made eye contact, I gave him a wink and he winked back.

Perhaps if I had studied the Periodic Table of the Elements a little more closely, I might be able to come up with a scientific explanation for the chemical reaction I feel every time I give or receive a tiny sparkle of magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment