Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Check Mate



For years now Lulu has been collecting rubber bands and keeping them in her food bowl. I just regularly toss them into the trash bin when I am cleaning and refilling her dishes.

Her habit has reached an all time high so I figure she is either totally delusional that the rubber bands are prey or she is trying to help the boys by cleaning up the ammunition from the floor around the house after their games (rubber-band guns are a favorite pass time).

I decided to look up the behavior to make sure I wasn’t causing irreparable psychological damage to the clawless wonder.

It just might be that your cat is trying to find a "safe" place for his favorite things. It often happens that the toy that ends up in the water or food bowl is often a toy that has recently been enjoyed by your cat. In the wild, cats often take their prey back to their "nest" area, and hide it from predators. Indoor cats don't really have a "nest" per se, so they often consider their food and water dishes as the "safest" areas within their "territory".

Maybe that’s where the disapproving looks are coming from. I guess I better learn to leave her business alone or else…or else what?

Google some more.

Your cat may be putting his toys in his food dish as a game. This is even more probable if you constantly remove his toys from the bowl. He has trained you to play this game with him.

Great. Not only am I her servant, I’m a pawn, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment