Sunday, April 18, 2010

That Was Easy



Last week I attended the Entrepreneurship@Cornell Celebration. Besides meeting inspiring, smart entrepreneurs, I got to say hello to many of the faculty, staff, spouses and students that I have met this past year.

As I was working my way through the reception, I was amazed at everyone's stories. Investigative cocktailing revealed they chose Ithaca over Boston, Palo Alto, Washington DC or New York City. The more I uncover people’s reasons for coming or staying, the more impressed I am with the community.

The locals are also interested in how California Girl is holding up.

"So, are you enjoying Ithaca?"

"I love it. I have been pleasantly surprised." I am still afraid I will grow a long, gray braid and stop wearing leather shoes.

"We hear you are staying another year!"

"Yes. One wasn't enough." I need to double check my reaction to winter. I think someone was slipping me drugs.

"How about your kids? How do they like their new school?"

"They are having a blast. And it's a relief to be able to send them to a quality public school without having to worry about fund raising!" What's better than having a mother who's not running around like her hair caught on fire?

Truth be told, the best part of my year so far has been being able to parent the way I want without having to stress out or be the bad guy saying “no” all the time. The choices for after-school enrichment, weekend entertainment and play dates are limited and focused. The influence of the university, nature and small-town sensibilities leave me with a job that makes life with kids a snap. I am not fighting traffic, designer labels, or Chuck E. Cheese.

I was worn out in San Diego with the constant decisions and never-ending requests. Raising kids in a major city takes vigilance, energy and a stomach for managing consumerism in every sense of the word. You can never let your guard down and when you slip, and I always did, you fall into a pit hole of Nordstrom receipts, sushi as a birthright, and iPhones for elementary school kids.

I have nothing against popular culture just like I have nothing against wine, sunshine or shopping. I have just found that is it easier for me to make sure we aren’t living on the stuff when everyone around us can’t be bothered with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment