Sunday, April 25, 2010

You Give Me Fever



I have been wandering around Ithaca in a spring stupor. I screamed out loud the other day when I accidentally scared a turkey hen and she flew out from under a bush right in front of my face. I looked down and there was her egg-filled nest. No wonder she was in a huff.



Then, coming home later that same day I ran into my neighbor who said she had a surprise to show me…a box full of barn kitties she rescued. They were so sweet with little meows that are totally irresistible. I had to get out of there. Fast.



I have been waiting to blog because the unfolding of spring has been so tender I didn’t know where to start. How do you describe the birth of an entire landscape?



Everything was barren and brown and there was literally no color. Then, just when you think maybe winter was such a bad boy it killed everything, you see the cheerful yellow forsythia, waving at you, announcing the season. Everyday, new colors, flowers and buds of green show up. I didn’t really understand the concept of spring bloom until I experienced everything around me going through it.



Also, I don't think I really appreciated the hype and euphoria. I wrote off the music and fussy celebrations as fodder for Martha Stewart and Hallmark. But now, I get it! The eggs…the babies…the flowers…the couples walking hand-in-hand all over campus...



Spring has arrived I am left wondering once again about who could possibly be slipping me drugs.

And, P.S., Mother Nature, I know you’re in on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment