Tuesday, May 11, 2010

No Fear



My grandfather had a poster hanging in his bathroom, “Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.”

I adored my grandpa. He taught me how to ride a bike, how to dry off properly with a small towel, how to stare down my opponent in dominoes, backgammon and Scrabble, and most importantly, how to get dessert out of my grandmother without finishing my tomato soup.

Watching my mentors, then peers and friends, and now, finally, protégés and children, I am struck by how much perspective brings to the party.

It is comical what we thought would finish us off at different stages in our lives. What doesn’t kill us, really does make us stronger.

I am thankful I made it past…

Six-years-old: Death by broccoli.

16-years-old: Death by broken heart.

26-years-old: Death by evil client.

36-years-old: Death by responsibility.

As I walk towards the next milestone, I pledge to keep my sense of humor intact as I fight off...

Death by PTA, Fannie Mae, oil spills, terrorism, E. coli and Tiger Woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment