Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Show Me the Money



I have loved this poster since the first time I saw it in my pediatrician’s office when I was in junior high school. Since then, whenever I see it—schools, museum gift shops, rec centers—I get a fuzzy feeling inside. It is the exact opposite of the feeling I get when a no-talent person dressed in everything expensive and brand new for his or her thing prances around in front of me.

I saw that Cornell was hiring for their “Life on the Hill” blog. Even though I do not exactly fit the student blogger profile, I decided to check it out. I was excited about the opportunity to contribute my voice to a collective that I admire and respect. When I saw how much it paid, the weight of my decision to be a writer hit me like a bag of quarters.

A friend of mine joked that what they pay won’t even cover the cost of Road Runner to do the work. But hey, you have to start somewhere. Trying hard to build a career means showing up at square one, working your ass off, and sometimes, accepting bubkes in order to make a name for yourself.

The Professor asked if I would be disappointed if I didn’t get the job. That’s when I realized where the little warm feeling from the poster comes from. I do care. I value the connection between passion for achieving something and the trade-offs you have to make to get there. Even though most dancers worry about paying rent and grocery bills, they are not getting out of bed for the money.

Ten years ago I wouldn’t have set my alarm for what I will probably make as a writer but now I am ready to pimp myself out for pennies on the dollar.

I am starting to see the sparkle of something besides coins.

1 comment:

  1. Let's see...in the three years I've been seriously pursuing writing, I've snagged one agent, one book deal, and made a whopping $4000 (pre-agent cut). I actually know best-selling authors who have to keep their day jobs. But you're luckier than most... you don't even have to worry about the day job! :) Good luck-- I hope you get a spot on the blog!!!

    ReplyDelete