Friday, May 7, 2010

One Free Kiss




My (Not so) Funniest Mother’s Day
This was before I became a mother myself. We took my grandmother to a traditional brunch at the Newport Beach Marriott. These were in the days when Grandma was still cruising around the buffet, filling up her own plate. I remember looking over at her and her nose was bright red and her eyes were watering.

Come to find out it wasn’t avocado she piled on her fork. It was wasabi. Damn sushi station.

My First Mother’s Day

I was a dot com widow, so it was just me and my gorgeous seven-month-old baby boy. We went to Houston’s for lunch and walked all over San Francisco that day. It was sunny and everything was right in the world. I imagined people looking at me and thinking either, “Poor woman, all alone with her baby” or “How lucky can you get? Look at that child!”

My Best Mother’s Day

Last year I got homemade cards from my boys filled with kiss and hug coupons. They will even redeem them past their expiration dates.

My Worst Mother’s Day
The Professor’s gift-giving style used to make me mad.

“What would you like for Mother’s Day?”

“I don’t know, surprise me.”

“You better tell me, Lisa, or it isn’t happening.”

“I want you to be a mind-reader.”

This Mother’s Day

There are still three generations of us mothers in my family. This will be the first year in a while I am away from my mama on our big day. I’ll be thinking of her, finally understanding why hotel brunches aren’t that fun, all that matters is who you are with, gifts from the heart are always the best…and sometimes you have to ask for what you want in order to get it.

I’m waiting.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I tried to get them to celebrate two Mother's Days this year (the UK one is in March). Didn't work. They said I had to be "in situ."

    ReplyDelete