Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dude (Looks Like a Lady)



 Aerosmith formed as a band when Steve Tyler was 22 years old.  I was only two-years-old then, so I didn’t get to enjoy what must have been a fun rise-to-fame to watch.  I didn’t start listening to the band until well into high school.  I was too geeky in middle school to even consider hard rock.  Only the girls with lockers in the smoking section knew any of their songs.

By the time I was in college even my mother knew the music that this talented group put out, mostly because they were Top 40 by then and you couldn’t turn on your car radio without something from Aerosmith blasting the air waves.  My college boyfriend told me he lost his virginity to “Sweet Emotion.”  For some reason that made me think he was cool and interesting.

Fast forward to post-college when my friend who was living in Boston called me up one day to tell me she worked out in the gym next to Steve Tyler.  I wanted to know if he was as bad ass and sexy as he sounded.

“No, he is painfully thin and holds his hands in that limpy position when he’s on the treadmill.”

“Gross.”

“I know.”

I guess I’ll just have to “Dream On.”  Although I honestly never really fantasized about running off with someone who wore leather pants to work, his voice is still one of my all time favorites and Aerosmith always makes my playlists.  I drove, partied, danced, and now cook and do laundry to that music.

Last night my friend was kissed and hugged by 62 year-old Steven Tyler at the taping of American Idol in L.A.  I haven’t watched the show or thought of making a poster to tease a 5’5” aging rock star so I laughed out loud when I saw the photos of my friend.  She held up a sign that read, “Hey, Steve, Walk this Way and Just Gimme a Kiss!”  He obliged, several times.  She is gorgeous and I am sure Steven Tyler would have done anything she asked him to but that’s another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment