Thursday, March 24, 2011

Growth Spurts


The first time I dined with a conscious eater I thought maybe she was in a cult.  Before diving into our meal, she bowed her head and quietly moved her lips whispering something I couldn’t hear.  This after giving so many amendments to her order that I thought for sure the waiter was going to wipe the floor with her tortilla before serving us.  I remember thinking there must be something wrong with someone who inquires about the origin of a fish she’s going to eat.

I’m different now.  I try to model slow, healthy eating for my boys and I definitely think twice about where my food comes from.  I understand what my friend was doing all those years ago in the booth at our favorite restaurant.  Sitting down to a bounty of food is a privilege and it’s really nice to stop and take a moment to thank somebody—God, the farmer, the cook.  I am trying to teach my children to not take it all for granted.  Also to not shovel food into their mouths. 

On the average, my boys grew over 8 inches a year when they went from babies to toddlers, are now growing at the rate of 3 inches per year, and according to the last doctor we saw, will have the majority of their growth between the ages of 12 and 17.  It’s all very exciting to be raising Beowulf and Bunyan but it’s almost impossible to work gratitude, conversation and mindfulness into the meal experience.

“Mom, Charlie didn’t put his fork down between bites.”  Charming Baby tattles as he’s licking the sauce off the chicken he’s holding like a lollipop.  The owner of the Thai food place walks over to our table and offers him a knife.

As I am cutting the chicken off the skewer for him, he gets grouchy and impatient.  I try to redirect him.

“How was recess today?  Did you play wall ball?”

“Fine, yes.  Mom!  Don’t’ let Charlie take any of my chicken!”

First Born Prince’s eyes are scanning the table like a snake near a baby bird’s nest.

“Never mind, don’t worry, settle down.  There is plenty to eat!”

They both harrumph.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa:
    Love your blogs they are the greatest!!!!
    luv Aunt G.

    ReplyDelete