Sunday, January 31, 2010

Cougar City



I am of the “Friends” generation. I wish I could say that is the only reason I know what Courtney Cox is up to these days. But unfortunately I am keenly aware of her current starring role in “Cougar Town.” I don’t watch this new hit show, but I am quickly becoming familiar with the term Cougar.

I first heard it a few years ago from one of my friends in San Francisco. He said something about all the Cougars in Marin County. I thought he might have been referring to women who actually like to attack their dates, but he explained the older woman/younger man hook up. Why call them Cougars? It sounds demeaning. There isn’t a word for all the older men that run around with younger women. Furthermore, people have started calling all ladies over 35 that like to go out Cougars, whether they are on the prowl or not. What's the big deal?

I just got back from my girls' trip to Park City. I met up with six ladies from La Jolla for a long weekend. Our generous friend, Stephanie, hosted us at her fabulous condo (see "Deer Valley" post). I got to experience what life with six sisters would have been like if we had been born to parents that let us ski all day and stay up all night drinking and talking.

We ended up getting invited to a private party at one of the happening clubs in town, so we showed up in full force, decked out in our après ski finest. Most of the women at the bar were over thirty and having loads of fun. There were single women, divorced women and, like our group, married women. Maybe some were looking for a cub, but I honestly think most were just there to listen to live music, dance and hang out with friends.

Then it hit me, a pride of happy felines cutting loose and having a night out bothers some people. Maybe they are intimidated—fearing smart and sexy fauna that can slay anything in their path with a flick of their tail. Maybe they are disgusted—although I am not sure what is wrong with women that like to dress up, go out and buy their own drinks.

I think before naysyaers start slapping labels on things they don’t really understand, they should loosen up and celebrate finally being an age when you are too old to care what people think and still young enough to enjoy it all.

Roar.

No comments:

Post a Comment