Sunday, January 3, 2010

Indoor Activities




There used to be only one thing that could keep me in bed all day long…ahem…but I have officially added a few more to the list. Swine flu and inclement weather have changed my ways. First, my illness before Thanksgiving left me so drained that I had no choice but to lie there begging for death…or more of the Tylenol with Codeine tablets we had in the medicine cabinet. Now, it is so damn cold outside, I have been under my covers all morning.

As a kid, I was tossed outside with my brother on a regular basis. Every Californian is familiar with the chant, “It’s a gorgeous day! Get out there and enjoy it!” It carries over into adulthood, too. I actually had a friend who wouldn’t go to a matinee on a sunny day because she felt too guilty. I know the feeling. It was next to impossible for any of us to enjoy the indoor activities we liked when it was so beautiful out. Who could focus on making soup, playing the piano, or going to a museum when all we heard were our swim suits, bicycles, or running shoes calling our names? My ideal winter day is curling up by a fire and watching a movie, reading, or playing games, but on the west coast, it was difficult to find enough bad weather days to fit in all the hibernating I like to do.

As the thermometer drops, I will get around to all the things I put off for most of my life because I was preoccupied with “soaking up the sunshine.” I guess some people are more disciplined and can force themselves to stay inside and get things done. But I can honestly say that I left my house a mess and wound up on the beach more often than not. I have a long list that is waiting for me, from organizing photos to finally learning how to use a pottery wheel…but first up is a guilt-free day of catching up with my friends that I owe calls to…that is, if they aren’t too busy to answer the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment