Wednesday, January 20, 2010

You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman



The boys found deer antlers in the yard. At first we were horrified and then reasoned with ourselves that it must be part of the growth process. My 4th grader confirmed our hypothesis after a quick browse on the web. (What did we do before Google? I remember explanations like, “God works in mysterious ways” or the popular redirection, “Go ask your father. He’s not busy.”)

Turns out, the male deer shed their antlers each year after mating season because they don’t “need them” anymore to attract the females or fight off the other males. Hmph. Even in the Wild Kingdom, it’s all about hooking up.

Here I am, trying to grow old gracefully, taking a few lessons from the ladies in Ithaca—let your gray show, spend more time on your brain than your butt, stuff like that. And those damn deer are outside making it all about the sex again!

Well, I guess I am more of a natural woman than I give myself credit for...

No comments:

Post a Comment