Monday, January 11, 2010

Who, me?




I was just catching up on the newsletters from the elementary school. I saw this paragraph in my Kindergartner’s weekly update:

Fostering Independence
I talked to the class about coming into the room alone in an effort to continue to develop independence. All children know how to get to our classroom and can do it on their own. I am encouraging you to say good-bye to your child at the back/front door of the school and let them come in on their own. Of course, if you need to help carry a heavy snack or talk to me, you are welcome to come to class.

Translation:
Lisa Gal, you are the only parent in the whole class who continues to walk your son into the room each day. While it is nice you are having a love affair with the child, it is not normal behavior. Having you Lord over him while he is trying to get organized for the day isn’t helpful for his growth. If you fear that your strapping four-foot six-year old can’t carry a sack of oranges on his own, you may come pester us on snack day.

I guess Ithaca is going to teach me a lot more than just how to stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment