Saturday, January 23, 2010

Have I mentioned the apples?



I meant to blog about the Cornell Apple Orchards last fall…but if I got around to everything on my To Do list I wouldn’t be trying to sneak in a post in between breakfast and the basketball game. No, I would be at the fireplace screen store, or calling the pest control people (critters in the attic!), attending a yoga class, or planning my spring garden.

The Kindergarten class went to the Orchards in October on a field trip and the reports from Charming Baby were so fabulous that I immediately took him, my older son and my best friend, when she was in town visiting, there. The boys hadn’t had their after-school snack yet, so they delighted the staff (mostly students and volunteers) with their ability to finish a full size apple sample of almost every variety--Cameo, Fuji, Gala, Golden Delicious, Gold Rush, Honeycrisp, Ida Red, Pacific Beauty, Red Delicious, and Rome.

I remember when I told a friend from La Jolla that I was moving to Ithaca, she got a far away look in her eye and said, “Mmmm, upstate New York. It’s worth moving there just for the apples.” I thought maybe she was recalling an afternoon she got really high and all the poor thing could get her hands on was a bag of apples, but, actually, now that I’ve tried the legendary fruit, I see she simply has good taste.

The big old barn where the Cornell Apple Orchards has set up its store is fun to poke around in, too. In addition to apples, pears, figs, and other in-season fruit, they have wool blankets from the Cornell Sheep Program, fresh pressed cider, maple syrup, local honey, apple butters, preserves, books, candles, Orchards clothing and lots more!

http://hort.cals.cornell.edu/cals/hort/about/cornell_orchards.cfm

No comments:

Post a Comment