Sunday, January 10, 2010

Should I Stay or Should I Go?



Making decisions is not my strong suit. Tell me there is only vanilla ice cream and I will oohh and aahh over that dessert like it was the last scoop of sugar on earth. Take me to a 31 Flavors and I will stand there for 20 minutes, completely overwhelmed with the options, and then when I eventually settle on Pralines ‘n Cream, I will look longingly at your Mint Chocolate Chip...

We have been wrestling with whether or not to extend our time here. My husband loves teaching at Cornell and would stay forever. And while the kids and I are having a riot, we miss our friends and family in California. That said, the top schools in San Diego are in a sorry state because of the budget crisis, so there is no rush for us to move back to zero job offers! My husband was willing to stick with our original plan of returning after a year so I wouldn’t freak out and stab him in the middle of the night. Silly man! What would I do with a frozen 250 lb. body?!

In order to comply with the professor’s proper planning protocol, and to be fair to the university that WAS prepared to make us an offer, the pressure was on to make a choice BEFORE the end of winter. We had a very sage friend point out that our decision making process left much to be desired, so after our vacation, we sat down and figured it out. Like two adults! Without emotion and power struggles! It was an act of maturity worthy of a blog post! My husband stopped talking like we were making a commitment for the rest of our natural lives and I started getting excited about the additional time we have here in Ithaca.

“When you set out on your journey to Ithaca, pray that the road is long, full of adventure, full of knowledge.” --Constantine Peter Cavafy

1 comment:

  1. Your friends in La Jolla will be there when you get back. You have some time now to do something different. And besides, it would give you more fodder for your book!

    ReplyDelete